Fair Trading issues are very important in home building and renovation, and it’s important we all know our rights. Every day of our lives we enter into numerous consumer contracts without even realising it - from simple purchases, like buying our weekly groceries, to the major purchases such as houses and cars, we rely on consumer laws working in the background to protect us.
Each State and Territory in Australia has some form or Fair Trading legislation, and government bodies to educate us and enforce the law. The primary role of the Fair Trading legislation is to administer these consumer laws and look after the rights of consumers and advise business and traders on fair and ethical practice with the aim of achieving fairness, for all, within the marketplace.
Get to know your local Department of Fair Trading, and the services they offer. Below are links to the Offices around the country:
- NSW Office of Fair Trading
- ACT Office of Fair Trading
- NT Department of Justice, Consumer and Business Affairs
- QLD Office of Fair Trading
- SA Office of Consumer and Business Affairs
- TAS Office of Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading
- VIC Office of Consumer Affairs
- WA Department of Consumer and Employment Protection, Consumer Protection Division